Sharing is helping.

We offer you this space to share your knowledge about Magento and learn from our experienced customers.

Home Forums Theme Forum HelloUno Limit the Number of Categories Displayed on Top Navigation Menu

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author

Need to limit the number of categories displayed on the top navigation menu. If you have more than 7 or 8 categories the menu will wrap and it looks terrible with the menu overlapping the search box making it unreadable.

I am very disappointed that this has not been resolved yet. Your templates are absolutely worthless to me in their current configuration without being able to limit the number of categories on the top menu bar. Is there no fix at this time? If so, I will quit posting and move on.

I don’t use that theme, but can you send a screen shot and a link? Maybe I can help.
      kenny at kennyredman dot ( you know the rest.)

Sorry we took a while to answer. You should limit the number of categories from the admin of Magento, it’s not a theme issue. Try changing the attributes from the category.
      Here’s more info about that:

@ Douglas Crosswhite:

i got your point i had the same problem bu after tried diffrent things i manage to fix it, and its not from the admin its frop top.phtml

go to :/app/design/frontend/default/yourtemplate/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml
      edit this file so for exmple in my case i restrict the categories to 9

This bit done the trick instead of 9 you can use 8 and it will restrict the categories to 8 in top menu but if you have vertical menu all categories will appear there it wont affect the vertical one .
      <?php if ($i>9): continue; endif; ?>

Hope this helps

Thanks Haroon,

this info was very useful for me!

This no longer seems to work on Magento 1.4

@Rad rozycki

Works in 1.4 coz m using this trick, also it depends on your theme, if possible can you paste your top.phtml here so i can help with that.

in my theme it’s not work.

The top.phtml file is:

<div id=”navigation”>
      <ul id=”nav”>

• getUrl(”) ?>”>Home
    • <?php foreach ($this->getStoreCategories() as $_category): ?>
      <?php echo $this->drawItem($_category) ?>
      <?php endforeach ?>

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml(‘cart_menu’) ?>
      <div class=”clear”></div>

Hi, why do you want to limit the number of categories?.-

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Limit the Number of Categories Displayed on Top Navigation Menu
Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code class="" title="" data-url=""> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> <pre class="" title="" data-url=""> <span class="" title="" data-url="">