Sharing is helping.

We offer you this space to share your knowledge about Magento and learn from our experienced customers.

Home Forums "How do I" questions Having Problems with view.phtml

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author

I was just wondering I purchased the HelloTheme HelloMix and it installed great and is working, but I seem to have problems when I try to edit my view.phtml file. I’ve been trying for the past two days to add social bookmarking and/or Facebook “Like” button to the product pages, but every time I place the code snippets in my view.phtml file found in my “theme” folder it doesn’t apply. After exhausting this option I decided to back up the files and then go in and erase ALL view.phtml files to see if I could find the one the site was using, but to my surprise after deleting ALL view.phtml files from my root directory and then refreshing my cache in Magento it had no effect on my site. I could still open up product pages and so on. It was as if I never erased anything. So, I placed all the view.phtml files back into their folders and decided to come here. This is very strange considering no matter which view.phtml file I try editing none have any effect on my site. Is there a different file that is controlling by product view pages. The social extension says I have to place the code in my view.phtml file in order for it to work. I’m using Magento and HelloTheme HelloMix. Like I said the site looks awesome and runs perfect, just this view.phtml issue. The extension I’m trying to use is Magento FaceBook Like which can be found here

Here is what the extension says to do

# Copy all files into your magento directory and turn Magento cache off.
      # In case you have different then “default” default folder – rename folders app/design/frontend/default/default and skin/frontend/default/default.
      # Navigate to System > Configuration > Templates-Master > FaceBook Like Button and enable extension for any store you need.
      # Configure FaceBook Like Button module according to your needs.
      # Set Up New Facebook Application at
      # If you are planning on using XFBML buttons, you will need to edit some template files Change the opening html tag to read:

<html xmlns=”; xmlns:fb=””xmlns:og=”;

# at next template files

* app/design/frontend/[package]/[theme]/template/page/1column.phtml
      * app/design/frontend/[package]/[theme]/template/page/2columns-left.phtml
      * app/design/frontend/[package]/[theme]/template/page/2columns-right.phtml
      * app/design/frontend/[package]/[theme]/template/page/3columns.phtml

# Code listed bellow should should be added to .phtml file in order to display Facebook like button. For exampe app/design/frontend/[package]/[theme]/template/catalog/product/view.phtml.

<?php echo $this->getLayout()->createBlock(‘core/template’)->setTemplate(‘facebooklb/like.phtml’)->toHtml(); ?>

That’s all. Navigate to your products page and check how your store looks.

Now one problem I noticed is when I go to my app/design/frontend/default/hellomix/template/page I only see one column file which is 3columns.phtml not all the ones listed in the installation instructions. However, I did go into base and change the view.phtml and all opening html tags like the instructions said and still nothing. So I’ve tried installing this in both default and base and still nothing. It’s like my website isn’t running off a view.phtml page at all. Has my theme changed something in the root which is redirecting it to a page other than a view.phtml page? Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

P.S – Before you ask, Yes I already went to Facebook and setup a new application to make this extension work.

James my friend,

Best practices for Magento would be to place your social bookmark code snippet into a CMS static block and then past the xml and html for that block into your template, very similar to how you create static blocks for any Hellotheme template. There are tutorials here for static blocks. I haven’t used that extension, but you really don’t need it if you have to modify code like that.

Go to and make your snippet.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    Reply To: Having Problems with view.phtml
    Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code class="" title="" data-url=""> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> <pre class="" title="" data-url=""> <span class="" title="" data-url="">