Sharing is helping.

We offer you this space to share your knowledge about Magento and learn from our experienced customers.

Home Forums "How do I" questions Changing the links in top nav bar

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author

Anonymous

Hey Guys,

I’m sure this is a simple question / answer but just a little stomped at the moment.

Ok so I know with the categories they are on the left and the top bar. The problem I have is that I want the categories to remain the same on the left, but I want the top nav categories to be something completely different.

Example can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/5WeuM.jpg

The bar circled in red I want the text changed and the links sent elsewhere.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thank you,
      Ryan

Anonymous

Well I guess you’re really going to change things up.

The code you’re looking below, and you might find it in app/design/frontend/default/hellouno/template/page/html/header.phtml:

Just comment this out and that navigation bar should go away, but beware that you’ll most likely have to change your CSS (and maybe a lot of changes). So I recommend just comment it out, clear the cache (disable it while developing), and see what happens.

Anonymous

Hi Kevin,

I’d like to have the nav bar remain in there but i want to know how I can change the links on the top .. Should I create a new category and have that the top bar.. but than I want normal page links in there instead of categories.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
      Ryan

Anonymous

Hey Ryan,

Go to Catalog–>Manage Categories. When adding a new category, you have options in the “dispaly settings” tab to show products or static block only. Then you select the static block (you’ll have to have created one yourself) and make sure that in “Custom Design” you select the appropriate template and layout. And don’t forget that in the “general information” tab to include in the navigation menu.

Hope that helps! Magento is sure far from Joomla or wordPress in terms of content management, and load time is not the greatest, so you might also consider using the Blog extension from http://www.aheadworks.com or the WordPress plugin here on HT to display static content. Then you can add links to the nav menu in your template phtml files.

Kev

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    Reply To: Changing the links in top nav bar
    Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code class="" title="" data-url=""> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> <pre class="" title="" data-url=""> <span class="" title="" data-url="">