Sharing is helping.

We offer you this space to share your knowledge about Magento and learn from our experienced customers.

Home Forums "How do I" questions Category Description CSS

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author

Anonymous

I’ve switched my theme over to HelloCoco but I see all my categories that have content in the “Description” field (General Tab) have very bad formatting. This field appears to be configured to appear in the grey strip bar above the Search bar.

It looks to me like you can’t use the Description field in categories and instead have to put this content in a Static Block and call it from the Categories Display Settings. Is this correct?

Regards,

Badders

Anonymous

Bump!

Badders

Anonymous

Bump! (again…)

Badders

Anonymous

It appears the category descriptions are in the title area. This is really poor. I have been trying to move it to the hellococo/template/catalog/product/list.phtml file with no success. It would be nice if someone from HelloThemes would respond to this as I am sure many people will have this problem.

Anonymous

Figured it out. You need to add:

<?php if($_description=$this->getCurrentCategory()->getDescription()): ?>
      <p class=”category-description”><?php echo $_helper->categoryAttribute($_category, $_description, ‘description’) ?></p>
      <?php endif; ?>

to the view.phtml file located in the hellococo/template/catalog/category directory. Add that line after each of the statements:

<?php if($_imgUrl): ?>
      <?php echo $_imgHtml ?>
      <?php endif; ?>

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, the “description” area you talking about it’s not editable, that is the design of the theme. That area only matches the category name.
      If you have “large names” in the categories, a solution could be adding the lines as Drew said.

Regards.-

Anonymous

I can see the grey area to the right of the category name allows for up to 3 lines of text from the category description admin. This actually looks fine as long as you remain within the 3 line limit as it centres the text (can be just one line or two lines) to the right of the category name.

Adding an image screws the layout at the moment so it’s going to need a new CSS style to move the image so its under the text (might look good if its semi transparent). I think that would work as a way to identify categories with graphics as well as or instead of text. So you could use text in the graphic itself instead of in the description.

You can see an example of the header correctly described with text here:

http://www.360tacticalvr.com/support/hellothemes/category.png

Badders

Anonymous

Yes, that could work. Very nice header :lol:

Regards.-

Anonymous

Got another issue. This works fine for top level categories but not for any sub-level categories. I can see in the top-level category a table is defined containing the title and description of the category using CSS class=”category=head”.
      So we need this layout also defined for the sub-cagegory layouts:

http://www.360tacticalvr.com/support/hellothemes/sub_categories.png

Any ideas?

UPDATE:OK this happens when you change the category default layout. I had a category set to “2 columns with left bar”.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    Reply To: Category Description CSS
    Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code class="" title="" data-url=""> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> <pre class="" title="" data-url=""> <span class="" title="" data-url="">