Sharing is helping.

We offer you this space to share your knowledge about Magento and learn from our experienced customers.

Home Forums Theme Forum HelloPodcast Breadcrumbs?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author

Anonymous

It looks like this uses the “breadcrumb” to feed the SEARCH and MY ACCOUNT/WISH-LIST/CART/ETC. menus. Is there a way to get the Magento out-of-the-box breadcrumbs functionality which shows the pages/categories with links to show up at the top of the “middle-container” div. IU’d like to have the standard breadcrumbs for all of the pages.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Hi there, that’s because this theme is very old and has a different functionality, if you take a look at page.xml and 3columns.phtml you will see the line who calls the breadcrumbs is the same than the new themes.-

Anonymous

Thank you very much for getting back to me, I have spent way to much time trying to figure this out. Im sorry to hear the theme is old, I did not know that when I bought it. I was able figure out some code which will generate the breadcrumbs for the static pages as well as the product pages. HOWEVER, it only works if it is added to the breadcrumbs.phtml file. So, I really need some help getting it added so it is appears as the first thing in the “middle-container” div. I know this is beyond normal support, so if there is a cost associated with this, I’m at the point of frustration that I would pay for it. Here is the code I can add to the breadcrumbs.phtml file and it will post the breadcrumbs to the site…

…however, I can;t have them int hat area as it’s already pulling the topLinks and topSearch and looks the way I want. I think what the solution would be, which I cannot get working for the life of me is…

Duplicate the breadcrumbs.phtml block as something like breadcrumbs-new.phtml and instead of the code that call the topLinks and toSearch I would have this new .phtml file call the code I have listed above which pulls in the actual site page breadcrumbs. Then, in my 3columns.phtml file I could call this new block with:

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('breadcrumbs-new') ?>

***BUT*** I assume I have to edit XML files so that will work. That’s where I’m running into problems. I absolutely have to get this working, and hope you can give me an easiest solution for this, as I’m embarrassed how long I’ve actually spent just trying to get the breadcrumbs with page links to show up.

Thank you very, very much!!!

Anonymous

Hi Jed, i think you can try what you explained above, the xml line you will have to add in page.xml is not complicated, take a look at the default line who calls the breadcrumbs:

<block type=\”page/html_breadcrumbs\” name=\”breadcrumbs\” as=\”breadcrumbs\”>

If you made the new file as breadcrumbs-new.phtml so the line would be:

<block type=\”page/html_breadcrumbs-new\” name=\”breadcrumbs-new\” as=\”breadcrumbs-new\” />

Omit the \ before the quotes, since it’s an issue with the text editor here in the forum. Thanks.

Hope this helps you!.

Regards.-

Anonymous

Yeah, it sounds easy, but it’s not working. I have no idea why. Once I add that block to the page.xml file it kills the site. I try to reload a page on the front-end and the site just goes blank.

I have created a file named “breadcrumbs-new.phtml” which is saved to /app/design/frontend/default/hellopodcast/template/page/html/breadcrumbs-new.phtml and it’s code is…

<div>

</div>

Then, for testing purposed I’m using the 3columns.phtml layout. In that file I have edited the code for the “middle-container” to call on the “breadcrumbs-new” as shown in this file’s “middle-container” div of:

<div class="middle-container">
      <div class="middle col-3-layout">
      <!-- start breadcrumbs-new -->
      <?php echo $this->getChildHtml('breadcrumbs-new') ?>
      <!-- end breadcrumbs-new -->
      <!-- start left -->
      <div class="col-left side-col">
      <?php echo $this->getChildHtml('left') ?> 
      </div>
      <!-- end left -->
      <!-- start center -->
      <div id="main" class="col-main">
      <!-- start global messages -->
      <?php echo $this->getChildHtml('global_messages') ?>
      <!-- end global messages -->
      <!-- start content -->
      <?php echo $this->getChildHtml('content') ?> 
      <!-- end content -->
      </div>
      <!-- end center -->
      <!-- start right -->
      <div class="col-right side-col">
      <?php echo $this->getChildHtml('right') ?> 
      </div>
      <!-- end right -->
      </div>
      </div>

After doing this, I can refresh the page on the front end and see in the source code that it is pulling up the newly added code, but just is blank for the content, sp it looks like this…

<!– start breadcrumbs-new –>
      <!– end breadcrumbs-new –>

…with no content inside it where I want to call int he breadcrumb links.

Last step…in the page.xml file located in /app/design/frontend/default/hellopodcast/layout/page.xml just below the block for “breadcrumbs” I have duplicated that line of code and adjusted the name slightly, so now it looks like this…

<block type="page/html_breadcrumbs" name="breadcrumbs" as="breadcrumbs">
      <block type="page/html_breadcrumbs-new" name="breadcrumbs-new" as="breadcrumbs-new">

When the new page.xml file is uploaded to the server and I clear the cache through the admin, the front-end view of the site goes blank white. Once I remove that “breadcrumbs-new” block from page.xml, the site is back up. So, I’m stuck…do I need to make a change elsewhere as well, or edit something else within the page.xml file?

Thanks, I really appreciate your support. I just want breadcrumbs on there, and I’ve spent at least 6 hours on this, it’s insane!!!

Anonymous

Hi Jed, i just tried this and i had a similar problem, not a blank page, but i can’t see the breadcrumbs-new code in the source file, it’s strange actually.

A possible solution, is to remove the default helloPodcast breadcrumbs.phtml and replace it with the breadcrumbs-new content but without the -new name, just breadcrumbs.phtml.
      I tried that and the breadcrumbs showed up in the page, but without the search bar and the top-links of course.

The last option could be to request this to our Custom Service department and ask for a cost, since it’s a task that require a considerable period of time.

Kind regards.-

Anonymous

Problem is, I have used the breadcrumbs.phtml how it was setup in theme but then changed the content that feeds in there. So, I need to keep it exactly as it is. I just need a new block that can pull in the breadcrumbs links as the first thing that shows up in the “middle-container” div. I open to however it can be done, so assume this would be an easy task for the Customer Service department. I just need to new files and lines of code to add to existing files to get it to work. I’ll open a ticket with them.

I really do appreciate all your help, and at least we know we saw it out as we though it would work, and now it’s time to pass it on to some fresh eyes, with a fresh solution.

Thanks,

Anonymous

Hi Jed, ok, request this to our Custom Service department e-mail: gaspar(at)hellothemes(dot)com

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Cheers!.-

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    Reply To: Breadcrumbs?
    Your information:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code class="" title="" data-url=""> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> <pre class="" title="" data-url=""> <span class="" title="" data-url="">